Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 28, 2018

watchless running / Charlotte 10 Miler - Race Recap

The problem is, the more time that passes the more things I feel like i should fill in since the last post. Suppose that might be part of sensing I need to adhere to the overarching theme of this blog. But really what this writing does, for me anyway, is to conclude the fullness of the run (running produces so many thoughts - runners will understand this) where you uncork feelings sometimes adequately expressed, sometimes richer, sometimes fumbling to convey the experience - but nonetheless an outlet to give credence to the beauty of the ordinary and the magical, the painful and the soaring. And as an added bonus, in some ways it produces self motivation to have record of past experience to propel for future performance.

A running log is a staple of a runner. Metrics are vastly used in the sport during the act, and penning them is our scorecard to the days record for statistical qualifiers and missed marks, showcasing our ascent into being the best we can be. Also, honestly stating our struggles gives value to when we overcome the hardships and provides perspective to the fullness of our cycle.

My blog was humming well before I discovered Dr. George Sheehan, and when i discovered him and his works, I had let go of writing - but i have thought about practicing it again. Like he says, "never trust a thinker who is still." Running, like I said above, opens the mind for great thought and a space for the Spirit to speak. I read where a monk said that running is a little to much movement to achieve a definitive meditative state (where walking can achieve this given it's slower nature), but running comes pretty close. Of course, like with anything else, it's never guaranteed - this epiphany type state. Like our runs, where we think we are set for a great outing, we are left feeling dull and dry from time to time.

One of the thoughts I had today was, I think i want to get a running watch again. Now, i won't jump headfirst back into apparatuses and tools, but having gone almost three years watch-less, I think easing back in to something that keeps stopwatch and splits won't be too aggressive. And when i thought that i wanted a watch again, it made me think - relating back to Wonder Women which i watched the other night - where, in the movie, Wonder Women, who isn't really fully human is puzzled to discover that man subjects himself to "time". It was an interesting thought: Why do we do that? With running, we can attest that time is the biggest motivator. Knowing where the time is ticking can unleash great amounts of power we didn't suspect we had. And it made me wonder: could we still achieve the same great heights in running if time was not something we kept ourselves surrendered to? I find it hard to believe the true answer is Yes.

Watch-less running has been great though in keeping my delight in the endeavor long lasting. I haven't gotten to any point where I felt like I was weighed down by the numbers, and has taught me a good deal in listening to my body, and how I can respond with speeding up or slowing down without first deciding to upon looking at numbers. I think it was an asset in my last race, the Charlotte 10 miler just a week and a half ago.

I wanted to run faster than my last outing at this race, back in 2016, which was 109 flat. I felt like i was in similar shape, but had I watch on I would undoubtedly made it much harder to achieve the PR i did, besting that time by 2.5 mins. The first 2 miles when i asked a lady runner beside me what our time was, i was surprised. I felt okay pace wise, but was surprised to learn that I was clicking faster than my pace the previous race aforementioned.  With a watch I wouldn't have had the cushion that i earned running fast. I would have put on the breaks and succumbed to my ascribed pace, rather than being true to my body - which i was doing. 5 miles in, half way, i asked another fellow male runner our time and he said a little over 33. Well, i felt still in control, and that i Had enought to pick it up a little bit. While feeling like I was picking it up, in racing i do know that that only means you are maintaining - most of the time. So maintain i did,  and launched my to an even second half of the run, closing my race in 106.27. I was able to pick a few people off, and hold off anyone from passing me. The hill at mile 9 I tackled well, and the 10th mile I really picked it up, making up any lost time and then some, taking full advantage of the steady slight downhill straightaway.

Anyway, the word count is growing, and my eyelids are falling. Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment