Total Pageviews

Wednesday, December 19, 2018

running ruminations

one way to look at running is to consider the runner as a fitness receptacle vessel. the metaphor occurred to me on my run this evening as I was about 30 minutes into the run, and started to contemplate my current level of fitness. I've noticed I have gotten stronger overall physically and mentally being able to knock off runs of certain distance and pace with greater ease, as well as feeling my current state in this approaching summit of training before the taper where the compounded toll of the pyramid is being noticed. The notion of a receptacle comes to mind as I have gotten here by a building phase of stretching what I have been able to absorb, and then being able to fill a larger amount of fitness the next week, similar to a weight lifter who breaks his muscles, only to find them grown back in stronger after the recovery. And so, as a runner, we are either using the container of fitness that we have built, sustaining it, allowing it to shrink, or expanding it - pushing the envelope of our boundaries hoping that we might not shatter it too much, so we can have it repaired stronger and able to hold more fitness, as we then get it ready to put on display at our contest.

For me, tonight, it was with uncertain reservation that I eschewed my weighed option of pushing some miles on the run at a faster pace - a trade off of perhaps a better decision - in order to be ready to maximize my effort on the pinnacled 20 miler this weekend, by keeping tonight full duration in cruise control.

Alas, around the 7th mile, as I sauntered onto Strawberry Ln., did I serendipitously slide into some swifter segments of the final sail, at least in feeling. The run felt very nice and comfortable. I am in good spirits and ready to take on the outpouring of the rest of the final hard week into my container before I begin the sharpening and recovery into Disney

No comments:

Post a Comment