Total Pageviews

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Great Harvest Bread Co. 5k

I fully aware my content on my posts has diminished. I'm sorry I'm not sorry! haha and I also realize that my writting is cheaper and not as well put together when there is content. Just a phase. Times are busier for me, and maybe I'm just less inspired - blogging wise.

Well, as every race has started at 8am, David nor I really didn't think this one would be any different. After leaving my place at 7am, I ate a Cliff bar on the drive to the parking lot, and we parked and jogged down to the course start. We noticed there were people lined up, and we asked someone going to the line when the race started and he said "now." That's when I heard the race director say, "5 minutes until the start!." oops.

We were able to get our chips and pin our numbers on our jerseys in those 5 minutes and also get a relatively good spot near the front all by the time the gun went off at 7:30.

My goal was to go out slower the first mile because I was tired of dying in the race and coming in dragging. I knew I was on plan when I allowed myself to chat with David and Jason during the beginning, and felt less agrresive going through the participants. I hit 6.04 on the clock my first mile. I didn't wear a watch, so I only had the "mile clocks" that were posted to go off of.

The second mile I came up on a pack of runners and decided to take the lead for them. Another runner in that pack came with, and he and I would go along for the next mile and a half. He would surge, then I would go with, and vice-versa.

After we split the second mile, on the clock, at 11:58 I realized I dropped a negative split with my second mile around 5:54. So far so good. At this point, the guy with me went up a little and for maybe 8 seconds I let him go and receeded to not fighting and upping the pace with him. Then I snapped out of it. I used the downhill we were on to open up my stride and catch back up. Here I passed him and I think he fell behind for good right then. Less than a mile to go and I knew we had one more climb before the finishing straight away.

I was able to catch some runners in front on that last hill, and some more on the downhill/flat straight away. At the 3 mile clock, I saw 17:35. Awesome! Another quicker mile, with this one being my fastes in a 5k all year, 5:37. I tried my best to kick it in to the finish for the last fraction of a mile, but it wasn't my best effort. Rounding the parking lot kind of threw me off, and it felt longer than it should. Turns out I was probably right as many have gone on to say that their GPS watches measure the course by half a tenth or so longer. Right at the tape I saw David Brinkly come up to me, which was a surprise, and we officially tied on time but the officials gave me the posistion, which earned me my first age group award of the year. 3rd place, male 25-29.

Result: 18.22 5k
Splits: 6.04, 5.54, 5.37
Website Results

No comments:

Post a Comment