Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Final Mile

Jumping into these track meets this month has really been a good experience. Like I said before, it had been 6 years since I even put on a pair of spikes or raced a put on track event. Going 524 on my first race a couple weeks ago, and then 518 last week, I was hoping to keep the trend going and break 515 on this last race of the year. (Even though next week is the last meet, I will be out of town)

Being the hottest day of the year so far didn't help my chances, but I was optimistic non the less. This time I actually had a run under my belt since the last Tuesday meet, and I was thinking I had to be in a little better shape. With it being so hot, I really didn't feel like doing a lot in terms of warming up. Didn't think I really had to, and thought it would just zap my energy more.

So after 2-3 mins of jogging and some strectching I took the starting line, shirtless we were most of the men, and went off. Was hoping to come through in around 230 and hold on to get under 515. Hit the first lap in 120, and realized I hadn't gone out fast enough. Tried to slight increase the pace the next lap, but wanted to feel good enough going into the last half that I could finish strong. Under estimated my pace and came through in 240, splitting 119. I definitly felt the best going into lap 3 of all the miles this year, but I was just not in good enough shape to negative split. I held on and cross 1209 meeters (because of the mile it's longer than 1600 so you start behind the line) in 402, and then had a good effort finishing 520 flat. I was competitive the last lap and was able to pick off a couple people, but my overall speed was not there today - I think due to the weather I was slower than last week although I felt stronger than last week.

Anyway that's that. It was fun for the last few weeks, and now I have a little springboard to keep me running through the summer. I now have my sights set on doing, potentially, the Virginia Beach half marathon Sep. 5th.

No comments:

Post a Comment