Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Summer Track Series at Myers Park High School

I've basically run 3 times since the end of Feb., totaling no more than 10 miles in all since then as well. I thought it would be cool to see what I could run a mile in with no training, out of shape, simply on what I am capable of after months off from running. It wasn't until I came across Theoden's Blog on Charlotteobserver.com a few days ago, where I was reminded of the track series going on at Myers Park, that I decided I'd do it.

This track series has been going on Tuesday's in June, for quite some time. I remember doing a couple mile races after highschool track, and then in the summer during college.

Actually the last time I did it was 2002 or 2003, and I had been hanging out at my friend Taylor's house drinking some beers and enjoying his pool in his back yard, that I drove over and laced up and ran 4:49 - a little tipsy.

This time I was hoping that my regular, non-running-fitness would yeild a time sub 5:30. Katie came and watched, and I jogged around the track for about 8-10 mins and warmed up, and laced up my spikes. Pretty certain this was the first time I put spikes on since I was at Appalachian running in 2004. I enjoyed the feeling, as I got a little adrenaline pumping, and took to the starting line.

I recognized a few fast runners, and I was off with the first group the first 200 meters and knew I would probably die later. Not to get too long winded about this, I ran 108,118(2:26), 124(3:50), 1:35 (5:25). I found a little kick to stave off the charging female the last 100 meters.

That's pretty much how I always ran anyway though, going out hard. This time just shows how when you are not in any running shape, the quickness with which fatigue sets in.

It was fun though! Plan on doing it next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment