Total Pageviews

Monday, June 28, 2010

Stephen Haas

I celebrated my old teammate, Mike Mitchell's wedding this weekend, and from it I got a chance to see a few people from years past. Mike ran for North Meck, who boasted one of the best cross country teams in the country in 2000. Stephen Haas was their number one runner, and he was so good that he was one of the best runners in the country during his Sr. year of high school. I remember watching him battle Ricky Brookshire at McAlpine during States in 1999, and Stephen winning easily in 2000.

I met Stephen my freshmen year at Appalachian State when he came up to visit one week. Mike introduced me to him, and I have kept an eye on his career from time to time ever since.

I knew that he was running professionally, but when I got a chance to talk with him briefly at the wedding I learned that he was now focusing on marathons and half marathons. I was very impressed when he told me he ran his first marathon in 2:18 after only 8 weeks of true training, and that he was going for 2:10 on his next one -Chicago coming up in October. He also told me he ran a half marathon last weekend, but didn't say what his time was. I looked it up and he clocked an astounding 1:05:22.

So anyway, I found this article on Stephen today and it got me pumped up to go run. I hope you'll check it out.

Article

1 comment:

  1. Nice blogs, Daniel. I read an article on Stephen Haas in last month's Running Times. I think it was the June issue. It was nice to read about one of Charlotte's runners making progress in his marathon career. Happy running!!
    Coach Down

    ReplyDelete