Total Pageviews

Monday, March 19, 2012

The Fragility of Running

This was thought up on my run, of which I just finished not more than 5 mins ago...

Long distance running is one of the most delicate and sensitive sports. This is something I have thought about since college. No other sport's scale of performance slides as much by the balance of so many variables that go on on an hourly basis, every day of the week, every week of the month.

Let alone your diet, sleep history, and stress levels - how you train, when you train, and the conditions of your training all play into this equation which ebbs and flows daily and is manifested in your most recent run. Not even regularity promises improvement, assuming you are correctly following all the other "non running" related factors. How you train is just as big of a piece of the puzzle.

Continuing to run each day like you have been won't get you to the next level, although it will get easier to do. You have to train harder and faster. You can't continue to do what you have been doing, and magically get better. You have to shoot for new target times, you have to push yourself into deeper pain, and you have to go further. And once you bring this new piece to the table, you then slide the scale further towards the risk of injury and burnout, and premature peaking.

Even from a merely recreational standpoint, you'll notice this phenomenon from time to time when you have a great run on a Friday, take a couple days off on the weekend, and go out on a Monday and wonder why in the hell it hurts so bad and you are so much slower and lethargic. The degree to which you feel a "random" off day is not as noticeable as it would be in basketball, soccer, or football. Yes, those are skill sports, and the off day happens nevertheless in any of those sports - but having played many sports, I've never been as amazed at how delicate and needy running is.

So many things come into play with how you will feel on your next run. Sometimes you can't put your finger on it, and sometimes the answer is clear. Running is a needy mistress. She takes time, effort, attention to detail, and persistence to get over the rough patch of your training and keep on going...all while trying to balance the scale to achieve your goals.

Today was one of those days. I had a pretty poor outing, but I got through it. I have a constant battle with wanting high performance, and also living how ever I want. Both cannot be achieved, but I'm never convinced to allow one to rule. Such is my state, and such is true for many things in life. However, I am proud to say that while the battle wages on in running, my maturity in other more important parts of life have improved.

Happy running....



3 comments:

  1. Great read Daniel. This really spoke to me! Keep on writing and keep on running.

    love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Nice post. Would you please consider adding a link to my website on your page. Please email me back.

    Thanks!

    Mandie Hayes
    mandie.hayes10@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mandie - believe it or not I just saw this. If I can figure out how to add a link to it, I sure will - although since my blog has been dormant for a while not sure much good it will do. Thank you for reading!

      Delete