Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Workout # 1: 7 Mile Progressive Tempo

So - the time finally came to do a workout. The goal was 7:30, 7:30, 7:15, 7:15, 7:00, 7:00, 6:45. I figured this was probably doable, and would still accomplish the desired effort I was looking to spend.

Met with Oelz and Jason, and we started at the starting line of the 5k course at McAlpine, and ran towards the Sardis/Old Bell parking lot. There, we would turn around and come back - reaching 4 miles - and then proceed to finish the 5k course. We started out a little quick - I think being geared up for the first workout of the year. We stayed around the times we wanted to hit, and once we started on the 5th mile - which was mile 1 of the course, we dropped it to just under 7 min pace. Jason went a little ahead here, and on the 6th mile - I started to feel the lactic acid setting in through my whole body. Just tried to keep the pace, and managed to have a good split for that "hill" mile, and then still close the 7th mile with my fastest split.

The effort to stay on goal - or the pace we had established early - was a challange, which is what I wanted. Perhaps if we went out more on pace and slower in the beginning it wouldn't have hurt as much in the end - but these kinds of runs are also runs designed to train your body to feel the pace. I think that this work out later in the year, will easier to gauge appropriate pace, after we get a couple more workouts under our belts.

Legs felt pretty good, the oxygen debt I experienced is to be expected given where I am with still building my base. I am pleased with the run.

Splits: 7.10, 7.20, 7.15, 7.05, 6.51, 6.58, 6.47, .49 (last .1 of the 5k course).

After ward we did a cool down mile.

Miles: 8

2 comments:

  1. Since I'm a beginner, please don't laugh at what I'm about to say. how the heck do you know what pace you are running? do you have some sort of GPS thingamajig? just curious:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. For this run, I knew the pace based on the mile markers out on the greenway, and just splitting them off with my watch. I don't have a GPS watch, so on those other runs I'll map out the distance on the internet, and then do the math based on my time of running from the watch.

    ReplyDelete