Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Start of distance oriented work-outs

David is reading Advanced Marathoning right now, and when he and I both came up with the same type of workout independently, I felt good about my instints! haha . .. no, but I wanted to do some sort of semi long run with some tempo miles incorporated in there, and he read a workout that was right up that alley. We decided on tackling  a 9 mile run, with 4 miles in the middle at 15k pace.

He has never run a 15k before, and I have only ran one. Last year, I was at 6:15 pace and was probably in a little bit better shape at that point, so we settled on 6:20-30, just to keep it flexible.

Warmed up 3 mile just under 8 min pace (first time in a few days my legs were feeling a little beat up, so this was actually tough). I was a little worried about hitting the target times, but I was ready nonetheless. We decided we would go 6:30 for the first and try and work our way down.

Taking off down Little Sugar Creek Greenway towards Freedom Park, we hit 6:36 for the first mile. Didn't feel too bad. Mile 2 stayed flat, and we hit 6:29. We started going up the booty loop, and climbed uphill for 3/4 a mile, but fought hard and split 6:26. The 4th mile we were just straight shooting down towards Selwyn Pub, and we hit a 6.01. Not bad. After the third mile hill and push, I wanted to negative split and was thinking be in the 6:10-15 range, but alas it was a little quicker.

Cool down ended up being a little longer than expected, but that is okay.

Miles: 9.6
Total time: 1.10.34
4 mile workout: 25.33 (6.23 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment