Total Pageviews

Sunday, August 22, 2010

McMullen Creek and Uptempo


Continuing the theme of combined runs into singluar posts, I must give account for the last couple of runs for the week.

Friday David B. and I went and ran somewhere neither of us ever have run: McMullen Creek Greenway. I really can't believe that I never have gone there having lived in Charlotte my whole life. I knew it wasn't a huge park, but that it did have enough trails and greenway space to accomodate a decent run. I was surprised at how shaded it was. Although it wasn't as much 'dirt trail' as I would have hoped, the shade and natural environment still proved to make it a better alternative than a lot of other places. As we started out, we were enthralled with coming and going Charlotte Catholic high school cross country runners in the midst of their practice. What a huge team of boys they had. There must have been 25. Definitly bigger than anything we ever had at Charlotte Christian.

From what I could gather, the trail seemed to be pretty much designed as an 'out-n-back.' It had accurate mileage posts every quarter mile, as well as wooden bridges interwoven through the dirt path and paved sections. I do not know how far the greenway goes, but at 2.25 miles David and I turned back and headed for the parking lot from where we just came. Being that it was the typical hot/sunny/humid afternoon, the shade was very welcomed. The pace stayed comfortable and 'conversational.'

Miles: 4.5
Time: 34.57
Pace: 7:46

Closing out my week with a run Sunday gave me what I was reaching for with my goals for the week. I ran 5 days this week, and 21.5 miles. Although I still have not done a long run, I am okay none the less because the mileage has gone up gradual and there is pleanty of time to tack on the long runs going forward. These last 2 weeks were to be my "base before the base", and as such my legs are feeling ready to begin the 16 week training phase.

Didn't get my run in on Sunday until after 8pm. Ran the standard 4 mile loop at a tempo and pace that was quick from the first few steps, lasting the entire run with a pace around 7:15-30. At times when I felt a little tired, it was not felt in my legs - just my breathing. That is a good sign. My legs are responding so far to the last two weeks well, and my Oxygen intake will be more efficient with longer runs and workouts that will be soon to come.

Miles: 4
Time: 29:30
Pace: 7:22

No comments:

Post a Comment