Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

all in the stride

As I ran, my thoughts were primarily composed of paying attention to my stride thanks to the concepts of Born to Run echoing in my brain. This really has been a tremdous read, and what I have been thinking about it how us as people actually run correctly when we strike the ground with our mid food and fore foot. Not our heels. Think of a sprinter, their heels hardly contact the ground. Watch little kids run. Their strides stay quick and light, staying under their bodies.

Chris McDougall, the author, states that when the running boom took off with shoe companies designing more cushioned shoes, all it did was promote heel striking and over striding - two culprits encouraging injury. The shoes prior to these pillow bottomed shoes, were ones that were basically leather bottomed slippers.

It's all interesting food for thought, and if you haven't read the book I highly recommend it. So anyway, tonight's run I found my self paying extra attention to my stide and how I landed with each footfall.

Time: 41.15
Miles: 5+
Pace: ~ 7.45

No comments:

Post a Comment