Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Shamrock 4 Miler



Results

I went into the race with maybe too lofty a goal, but nonetheless I wanted to be very close to 23 mins, if not under, for the 4 mile race. After a nice 1.5 warmup with David, I was feeling good and ready to get going. I made my way up front rather quickly from the gun, and found myself in the second pack of runners the first mile. The leaders were way out in front, and a few making up the first pack were pulling away from me and my pack after half a mile. The first mile was pretty much a downhill portion, so the quick pace felt pretty easy. I split the first mile pretty much right on time at 5.46

After that, the pack started to thin out, and I found myself singled out by 10-20 yards from people in front of behind me. The second mile rolled along, and I split 5.53. I didn't feel like I fell off, but the course flattened out and rolled up and down so this makes sense.

After doing the U turn to come home the pace slowed as we started to climb the gradual hill that is Ballantyne Commons. Clicked through in 6.12. Wow - big fall off. Still, no one was coming up on me or passing me and I felt more focused that the last race.

I managed to bring the pace down to a 6 flat 4th mile, and finish strong staying in the same posistion I had found myself from the first mile on.

14th place

the 5.58 pace is not where I thought I would be, but I guess due to the hillier course than I expected and my unrealistic presumptions, it is where I am. Definitly an improvement, and I hope to keep building on it.

Shout out to Bob, David, Oelz, Alecia, and Megan Polovick - and my old highschool rival John Compton, on the win!

1 comment:

  1. Great race kid, oh what I would do to be 3 years younger again and have that speed! You were flying, great race bud! Plus always good to chat with you for a few!

    ReplyDelete