Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 27, 2011

World Record!


Got a text from Jason Blackwood while I was sleeping, saying he was pulling an all nighter and helping out at the track during the wee hours of Sunday morning. After he notified me the team was about 18 mins behind schedule, I hit the snooze button and got in a little more sleep.

Arrived at the track around 8am, and relished in the fact that the rain had subsided. While watching and mingling, I met Kristen and Caleb Boyd, John Filete, Paul Mainwaring, Alex Wernikoff, and a few others. I watched Stephen Spada's leg in fully shirtless glory despite the low 40's temps, and afterwards was able to use him as a warm up partner. He mentionedour conversation about a track meet I was in at Providence Day, while I was running for Charlotte Christian in Highschool, and though he obviously was being more than gracious when he was recalling the quick mentions of times during that special day for me - I must say that I did not run the 800m race that day (in fact I didn't break 2 mins until college), but completed the quadruple with the 4x400. And he surely rounded down by a couple seconds against the true times I ran in the 1600 and 3200, but I won't bash him for that!

Anyway, I enjoyed my leg of the race tremendously and the opportunity to participate in the historic event. Meeting new members was awesome. I don't get out that much for the group runs, so this definitely helped me connect. True to form, I went out too fast the first lap (79) and the first 800 (244), but was able to reel it in for a targeted 543 first mile. I was able to maintain focus pretty good on the second mile with a 548 split. The last mile, I knew I had some in the tank, but it was interesting I had to really force myself to think TURNOVER TURNOVER TURNOVER, as my legs are not used to going that fast, but aerobically I was feeling okay. Perhaps that is why, after the race I felt I had more left. With a lack of speed training, you find yourself without the ability to really tap into your speed - not that you don't have it. It just can't be conjured up. At least that's kind of how I look at it. So my last mile was a 546, with a 84, and 80 the last two laps. My last .1 was a 38 special, just to get me under 18 mins (1756) for the 5k.

I felt good about the race, but was tired, and so I went home to rest and come back in time to watch Jordan to see what he would do coming off injury, and to watch my old rival Compton fly around the track for the fastest split. That wasn't the question, just how much quicker than everyone else he would be was intriguing. 1512 for that guy. Way to go man!

Way to go CRC for the event, the members for all doing their part - despite the weather, and to a new world record by a more than comfortable cushion of 6 hours! Take that Florida Striders!

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/03/28/2177820/runners-chase-guinness-world-record.html

2 comments:

  1. Great post and thanks for taking part! Loved the musical reference...38 Special!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Spada! Hope to connect with you on a run in the near future. Take care!

    ReplyDelete