Total Pageviews

Saturday, October 16, 2010

LUNGSTRONG 15k

Race up near Lake Norman. Wasn't sure what to do in this, since this was my first 15k. Thought I'd go 6:30-45 the first few miles and try and work my way down. Figured I wasn't going to be able to go much faster than my 8 mile tempo, but wanted to break 1 hour. (3 20 min 5ks, consecutivly). The weather was perfect, and Mitchell worked his way to the front, and once the gun shot off I was about 5 secounds from the starting line and it only took me a few seconds to break out and find my space. I was surprised when I split 6.12 first mile. I knew this was a little quick, but it didn't feel that fast so I decided to not fall off from the group I was in. The next two miles we weaved our way through this park which had a couple rolling hills. Immediatly, I could tell I was doing fine on the inclines, and able to get a stride or two on the group in those situations. Came out to the main road out in the neighborhoods of the Peninsula Club, and took the lead for the pack I was in for the next few miles. Around mile 5 I decided to make a little surge and try and seperate from the pack I had been in since the start. I was able to successfully put some space from the pack I was in, but knew I had some time if I was going to catch the group in front of me. They were about 45 seconds up, if I had to guess. Anyway, I maintained my pace and tried to put some moves to close the gap the rest of the race. Around 8 miles on this straight away directly into the sun, uphill, I just started to close my eyes and try and do what I could to catch them, as they were getting closer. With one mile to go, the newly formed group I had just entered had started to fall apart, and from then on it was justAlana Hadley and I. She is the young phenom female runner who is mad good and looks like she is my 11 year old sister (if I had one). She is strong, and I wasn't able to pass her. I held my pace through 9 miles, but with .3 to go - I didn't really dig in and kick (until the last 20 meters downhill).

I knew I beat my goal, and when I saw my time I was happy and figured I placed pretty decently as well. It was a great atmosphere, and I was able to get in some good cool down miles with Mitchell after the race to make it a "long run." Also caught up with Compton, and some other runners, such as Chris Lamperski.

Splits: 6.12, 6.21, 6.10, 6.21, 6.16, 6.09, 6.12, 6.19, 6.14, 1.58 (.3 mi) = 58.15
Pace: 6.15
Place:25th

No comments:

Post a Comment