Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Pulling a Brett Farve

....that's what Sterger said.

Hit up McAlpine solo after work Wednesday, low on sleep and coming off 3 consecutive days of higher than average miles and quicker than normal pace. I had received some feedback from Brian Deal, and old teammate of mine at App. State and a recent 238 marathon at Chicago this October. One of his suggestions was a 10 mile tempo run going first 3 miles at 6:55, next 3 at 6:45, and final 4 at 6:25, with the idea to get the legs tired, then run hard. That was his philosphy for his marathon training, and evidently it worked pretty well for him.

I realized after the first mile that my legs were not up to the task given the factors listed above. I stayed with it for the first 3 miles as 650s were not too much to ask for, but I was not able to drop it in the 640s range the 4th mile, so I decided to stay under 7 for the 5th mile and change it up. Ran the next few miles without expectation, and slow enough to recover for a final push for the last 2 miles. I hit 730s for the next 3 miles, which were on the 5k course, and on the last 2 miles back made one last push to finish strong.

I think this "audible" was still a nice workout - given that I defintly got the legs tired, then ran hard.

Miles:10
Splits: 6:52, 6:50, 6:54, 6:53, 6:50, 7:39, 7:35, 7:36, 6:53, 6:43

No comments:

Post a Comment