Total Pageviews

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Pounding the Pavement

Finally posistioned myself to take on a long run. After missed weekends, races, or staying out too late the night before, I was ready to go out and run 16. I didn't really feel like driving anywhere for the long run, and figured getting a long run done on some roads would help my legs later on for Thunder Road.

Taking the lead from Jason's long run, I mapped out an additional 8 mile run to pair with my standard H-Town route(also 8 miles). Took on the new loop first, which ran me down the Freedom Park Greenway, up Tranquill's big hill, down Selwyn, up Park Road, and back through Archdale. Once I completed that loop, I stoped and used the bathroom at home, slugged some water and a power gel, and started on the second half of the run - which by my earlier accounts is listed as quite hilly as well. I managed to stay under 8 min mile pace, close to 7:45-7:55 which is my comfortable easy pace, and tried to pick up the pace a little on the second loop. I didn't make much of a concerted effort to go faster until the last few miles where I was in the mid 7 range. Closed my last mile at 7:33.

Weather was good, wore sunglasses throughout which didn't bother me at all, and generally felt pretty pain free. What I noticed was that the fatigue came in the form of pain from the constant pounding, flaring up the last few miles.

I was pretty spent afterwards and needed to just lay around, but other activities were lined up the rest of the afternoon which prevented me from doing so, and also I was going to the Filmore to see a concert that night. Standing on my feet from 8-11:45 was hardley pleasant, and if I ever have a chance to go to a concert where I'm not just chilling on the lawn, I think I will pass.

Pace: 7.48

Highest Mileage for the week: 54

No comments:

Post a Comment