Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Summer Breeze 5k

I remember when this race was called the BB&T Summer Breeze. It used to be run downtown. Also, back in highschool, I garnered awards for the two times I did it. Today would be a different result. Funny how it seems I work a lot harder, but am running pedestrian like times, compared to highschool. I knew my training was light the last few weeks (9 miles, 9 miles, 18 miles), and that being at a Phish concert the night before is never the best pre-race preparation, and that I had been running relatively quicker this week in an effort to drop my pace...so I didn't think anything reall fast was in the books. But I was hoping I would be where I should (Sub 18!?!) Anyway, after a warm up - I was lined up, and let my buddies take it out quick. I knew Mitchell wouldn't be reachable probably at all, and Jason and David shot out a little quicker than normal - so I let them go. I held on and was right where I wanted at mile 1. 6 mins. Just like last race, I was at 6.04 and then was able to drop my splits significantly. This time, I would feel like I was upping the pace slightly, but the clock indicated otherwise. The field was pretty packed, so that was nice to work off others, and I made a good move the second mile to not fall off, especially since I clicked off a 6.15 for that mile. The next and last mile was supposed to be fast, so I tried to open up, but just wasn't happening. When we got to the Lake at Freedom Park for the finish I sped up so, realizing guys were breathing down my back, and I didn't want to get totally passed by everyone. I was able to ride it out and finish strong. My time kind of sucked (19.09) but it wasn't the worst race ever.

Time: 19.09
Pace: 6.10
place: 35th
Results:

No comments:

Post a Comment