Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 30, 2011

twin peaks

Flying in to Charlotte-Douglas, I was looking out the window at Crowders MTN, thinking it would be cool to go try and run up it. Well, with some unusal free time, I went straight from the airport to the gas station, got a gatorade (frost blue) and a power bar (chocolate peanut butter), and then drove to Crowders MTN state park.

The last time I was there was about 2 or 3 years ago, so once I started making my way, I wasn't exactly sure which way to go (right or left) once you go about a .1 mile into the trail. I chose right (the path to the top of Crowders), and soon realized that this was a way I didn't remember. About .8 of a mile into the trail, I came to a road, and saw a sign for the RockTop trail which would lead me to the top. As I started up that trail, it became very rocky and steep and I was soon walking. I would run as much as I could and walk when I had to, but I made it to the top in about 25 mins. My Iphone showed it was just over 2 miles up. I think I rose in elevation about 660 feet. (900 ft to 1560 ft). Made it down in 22.09.

Map:
Part 1 - 3/4's of the way up: http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/39434864 7% grade, 12.58 ppm
Part 2 - last bit up: http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/39435658 8% grade, 12.14 ppm
Part 3 - Descent: http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/39438500 10.34 ppm

Well since that wasn't what I was looking for, I decided while running down, I would stop by the car get some gatorade, and do the other climb - where I go left at the beginning. Also since I had only done 4+ miles I felt I could do it.

The rest helped my legs come back a little bit, and I set off again. This was the trail I remembered, and knew it wasn't as rocky, although just as long and high. 2+ miles to the top, and actually this peak (Kings Pinnacle) is 80 feet higher than crowders. I made it up just under 21 mins (20.53 by my watch). It wasn't as hard, but I did have to walk after about 15.45 into the run, and alternate until I got to the summit. Rise of (650+ ft). I made it back down in 19 flat.

Ascent: http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/39442210 11.27 ppm 6.8% grade
Descent: http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/39446876 9.42 ppm

Miles: 8+
Time: 80+ mins
Elevation Gain: 1200+ ft.

As I write this Friday morning, my legs haven't felt this sore since Thunder Road Marathon. What a great day of something new for a run! I encourage everyone to try this, walking or running.

No comments:

Post a Comment