Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 17, 2010

milestone run

Miles: 17
Time: 2:16
Pace: 8:00

I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to go along with the plan after the knee started acting up this week. I was very anxious to check it off my list - running 17 for my long run - but I just didn't know how the knee would feel. I took Friday and Saturday off, although I nailed my knee against Josh's coffee table Saturday night in the same place of my injury. If I feel great, and my schedule permits, I'll run 6 days a week - normally 5, and if I'm feeling like I need to be careful then I at least try and make sure to get in 4 days during the week.

David and I met at Old Bell lot and set off around 2:30pm. Right away and through the first 2 miles my knee was hurting and sore, but then the pain went away and generally did not bother me for the next 15 miles. We kept the place conversational and easy and started consistently logging 8 minute miles. I was able to run shorts and shirt and actually be a little warm. Then the rain came and I was happy I was wearing dry fit and not cotton. It subsided and then the sun actually came out! We ended up back at the parking lot after 10 miles, so I took the chance to shed my shirt and take a power gel for the final 7 miles push. David finished up after 12 miles, and then I set off for a 2.5 out and then back to conclude at 17. Having run 12, knee feeling okay, and my power gel running through my system, I believed I could do 17 and at least hold the comfortable 8 min pace.

It's interesting, but in the 3 really long runs I've done now - after 12 miles it starts getting tough. That seems to be when lactic acid starts setting in, and the muscles just start feeling fatiuged. The good news is, I think the pain is less and my ability to go farther is improving easier each time. I came in probably under 8 min pace for the last mile, and felt tired - although not as completly whiped out as last Sunday. Maybe the gel helped.

Anyrate, the run was a success - the knee held up, and the weather felt like a treat running no shirt in 60 degrees for part of it! Definitly a welcome from last weeks 30 degrees.

Weekly Total: 38.8

**Monday I will be off (which, as I write this, is actually today) to rest the knee and recover from the miles. This is good, since my knee is very sore and I'm currently walking with a limp**

No comments:

Post a Comment