Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

feeling the toll

Miles: 8
Time: 1:04:25
Pace: 8:03

I should have known better. I was unrealistic in my optimism that the run would be a swifter than normal pace. It's funny that, a lot of times, even the first few strides when you set out for a run tell you what kind of run you are going to be in for. You can think, 'Oh I'll run great today', or 'I bet I'll run like crap', and then as soon as you set off sometimes you find out that you are in for the very oposite.

I didn't really take into account that the 17 miles on Sunday was going to take so much out of me. Even with a day of rest afterwards, the tank can stay on empty even more so sometimes when you forgo the shake out run the day after.

This was the first run since I've owned a running watch in years. I didn't get a GPS watch, and figured I ran pretty well before that technology so why spend the extra money on it now. I'm happy to have a regular watch with 50 lap split capabilites.

Ran 8 miles, doing the Huntingtown Farms neighborhood loop. First mile was maybe barely under 8 min pace, but the rest of the time it was 8 min pace or slower. The good news is the knee didn't hurt right away, nor at the end of the run. It did hurt in the middle of the run when I was crawling along. I actually thought I was going to be reduced to walking, but after 5 miles I was back to a comfort level sustaining the 8 min mile pace.

Chalking this little "jog" up to the ramifications of going 17 miles 2 days prior. At least 8 miles on this run seemd short with my recent perspective!

1 comment:

  1. Put a shout out in to you today in my BLOG entry, go check it out. You summed the instant feeling of a run's success up perfectly in this. Enjoying following this, keep up the good work bud.

    ReplyDelete