Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

first signs of fear

Miles: 7.5
Time: 56.07
Pace: 7:30

Within the first mile, I began to notice that my left knee was experiencing some soreness. It was only the kind of pain that was an annoyance if I dwelled on it. David and I started from my house and ran the Huntingtown Farms loop. Started off the first two miles at a comfortable pace, about 7:45. Once we turned onto Old Reid Rd., we picked it up a little bit, and began a nice pace when we got on the greenway. We held about a 720-30 pace through the neighborhood which was fine considering the hills. About 5 miles in though the pain became constant and the pounding on the hills started to make the knee feel worse. We closed the run with some nice strides, and I was able to run fine throughout the run considering the knee. When we were done it didn't flair up pain wise, but I could tell just walking on it that something was tweaked.

What's fustrating is that it's hard to tell what's wrong. If it's joint, tendon, or bone. It's on the bottom outside of my knee. I iced it a little bit last night, but I think I need to keep an eye on it, because after all my first goal is to stay healthy enough to complete the marathon. That feels especially more imparative given that I just sunk $350 into airline tickets today!

2 comments:

  1. Which marathon are you flying out for? Stay healthy kid, I did the same thing knee/hip deal 2 years back. Continued training and flew down to Fla. then ended up having to pull out after 20.5 miles of killing it. Pace was flying; but I had 2 options: (a) continue and not run for awhile, certainly not be at Boston 6 weeks following, OR (b) use my head, pull out, and live to fight another day. Good luck man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Appreciate the comment, Bob. I'm running the A1A in Ft. Lauderdale, Feb. 21st. Today the knee is slightly sore so I'm going to test it gingerly this afternoon. Glad to read about you getting back on the road!

    ReplyDelete